Saturday, September 09, 2006

Beer or ink?

Dear Scott,

I was reading your blog and wondering why you chose ALCOHOL as the item you could
then buy after receiving the pittance which is afforded writers (and not only in NZ, in France and UK also) for your words.

I assume you need to buy ink or pens with equal frequency as beer, and wonder if it is not a long way to walk in our self-perception (or the perception we have that links writing with either drinking or with materials) to , in our mind's eye, link the pittance with materials.

Just a thought, from one missing the occasional glass, but using more of the ink!

Cheers
Bill Direen

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm putting a vote in for using it to buy icecream. The only emperor is the emperor of icecream, after all.

Seriously, dunno about you guys but it seems any money I ever get for writing quickly goes on things like subscriptions to brief.

4:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'it seems any money I ever get for writing quickly goes on things like subscriptions to brief'

ie to Hamilton's drinking fund.

Break with the Ross-Hamilton-Direen-unknown-Taylor clique now!

I am yours etc
Sanjay Wells

6:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Au contraire, I am in favour of Hamilton's drinking fund as well.

It's all part of the poetry economy, you know.

11:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home